San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum (SDCDM) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization providing authentic hands-on educational exhibits and programs focusing on science, art, and world cultures for over 150,000 visitors annually including children, families, and school groups. SDCDM’s mission is to inspire children to learn about our world through exploration, experimentation and imagination.
Full-time Position with Benefits
The Exhibits Manager leads the development of thoughtful, innovative, and sustainable designs that foster authentic hands-on learning experiences for children and their families. Exhibits are designed for indoor exhibit floor, outdoor Children’s Discovery Garden, Mobile Children’s Museum, as well as potential design and fabrication for other groups. This position works with the Director of Museum Experience and Education Team to develop and execute designs that align with SDCDM’s values, goals, and brand. The Exhibits Manager is responsible for design, execution, project management, budgeting, maintenance, and upkeep of all Museum exhibit areas and public spaces. The Exhibits Manager will support and guide the Exhibits Team (2 full-time Exhibits and Facility Assistants), Volunteers, and Interns.
- Collaborate with team members and community partners to innovate and refine interactive exhibits to ensure educational value and intent
- Understand mission and values of SDCDM; have a vision for product design and development
- Prepare drawings, models, cost estimates, materials lists, construction details
- Source and purchase project materials
- Plan and execute exhibit installations and de-installations
- Maintain standard of excellence for quality, cost-effectiveness, and consistency of exhibit and facility projects
- Support, guide, and mentor Exhibits and Facility Assistants (2), Interns and Volunteers (1-2 interns per semester and one-day volunteer projects of up to 20 people); provide training and feedback
- Conduct weekly exhibit walkthrough with Exhibits Team to ensure exhibits are clean, operational, and well maintained; monitor for repairs, hazards, or opportunities for improvement
- Oversee Exhibit Workshop cleaning and organization, ensure materials are well stocked
- Operate and maintain power tools and equipment
- Uphold standards of shop and equipment safety
- Assist with setup and breakdown of Special Events
- Capacity to run sound system and maintain equipment a plus
- BA (required) in Fine Art, Commercial Art, Industrial Design, or other related field (additional qualifying experience may be substituted)
- 5-plus years of experience in design and fabrication
- Experience with project management and budgeting, woodworking, construction, shop equipment, and fabrication techniques
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and leadership, creative thinking and problem solving
- Excellent math, organizational, and time management skills required
- Must have excellent attention to detail, written, and verbal communication
- Must be able to work outside and lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to function in a high energy team environment
- Knowledge of early childhood development, design experience for diversity, inclusion, and accessibility a plus
To be considered for this position, please send résumé and a cover letter to:
Subject Line: Exhibits Manager
Once received, your résumé and submitted materials will be reviewed, and if your experience and background fits our needs, someone from our office will contact you for an interview.