Part-time (multiple positions available)
The Educator is responsible for working with the Education team to implement enriching experiences through our educational programs and events for our rapidly growing children’s museum. Programs include, but are not limited to: cultural and nature-based events, field trip workshops, camps, scout programs, afterschool programs, mobile museum, outreach events, birthday parties, art studio workshops, and public programs. The Educator may support the Education Department in the planning, training, development, coordination, and implementation of museum education programs, activities, and events. The Educator will report to Director of Education.
- Coordination, development, and implementation of art, science, and cultural workshops, programs, fee-based classes, camps, and events including preparation, set-up, clean-up, and evaluation.
- Teach school programs that align with state and national learning standards such as CA Common Core, Next Generation Science Standards, Preschool Learning Foundations, and Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards.
- Ability to modify programs in response to age and ability of participants as well as comments from visitors, performance reviews, and/or program evaluation.
- Supports and collaborates with Education staff and other departments to support the Museum mission and department initiatives as they relate to exhibits, program planning, outreach efforts, events, visitor engagement, and other educational activities.
- Works closely with Visitor Services staff to deliver a safe, clean, fun, and educational Museum experience to all visitors and guests. Participates in daily visitor experience, including daily programs, monitoring areas for physical appearance and functionality, engaging with visitors, etc.
- Model appropriate practices with young children and encourage learning through play. Encourage educational objectives throughout the museum experience.
- Minimum 2 years experience in a formal, non-formal, or informal educational setting.
- Has a passion and experience working with children Preschool to Grade 3.
- Associates or Bachelors in Education, Child Development, or equivalent experience. ECE units preferred. Teaching credential or certification preferred.
- Experience developing curriculum or lesson plans including the incorporation of Common Core, Visual and Performing Arts Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and Preschool Learning Foundations is preferred.
- Teaching experience utilizing effective classroom/group management skills.
- Familiarity with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other office programs.
- Must be highly organized with excellent written and verbal communication.
- Must be able to function in a high energy team environment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred, but not required.
- Flexible schedule including weekends and/or occasional nights is required. Hours vary week to week, season to season.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must have a valid CA driver’s license and proof of insurance. Must be able to travel to off-site program locations and transport teaching support materials as needed.
To be considered for this position, please send résumé, cover letter, and a sample lesson plan to:
Subject Line: Part-time Educator
Once received, your résumé and submitted materials will be reviewed, and if your experience and background fits our needs, someone from our office will contact you for an interview.