Volunteer and Make a Difference
Volunteering at San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum is a great way to get involved and give back to your community. By contributing time and expertise, you can learn something new, help others, and most of all have fun! The success of many of our programs depends directly on the efforts of our volunteers. Every year, people—from students to retirees—participate in our volunteer program.
Who can be a volunteer?
- Volunteers must be 15 years of age or older.
- Volunteers should be friendly, outgoing, and enjoy working with people.
- Volunteers should have an interest in promoting world culture and science education.
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers work in almost every area of the museum. Some volunteers do demonstrations in exhibits and lead school workshops while others assist with general operations or serve as an information ambassador.
What qualifications must I possess?
- Excellent communication skills.
- Flexibility in a variety of settings.
- Keen interest in lifelong learning.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with people of all ages, backgrounds and opinions.
- Well-prepared, dependable, and punctual.
- Possess the physical stamina to be on your feet for several hours at a time.
- Speaking knowledge of foreign languages a plus.
- Background in science, anthropology and/or education a plus.
- Have voicemail and a valid e-mail address with reliable access to the Internet.
When can I help?
Volunteer opportunities are available daily between 9:30 AM and 4:30 PM. Volunteers may work a half day or full day shift but should be willing to commit to an average of four hours per week (may be arranged for twice a month) for at least six months. If only available for the summer, volunteers must commit to 2 days per week.
How do I apply?
Please submit a completed Volunteer Application.
You may choose any of the following options:
- Email your application to email@example.com
- Mail your application to the address listed on the application.
- Fax your application to 760.888.1934
Volunteer placement is by interview only. The first step is to complete the application and return it to Volunteer Programs. Once the application is received, someone will contact you. Feel free to contact Volunteer Programs with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 760.233.7755.