What is it?
Each month, our storytime and art activities alternate between world culture themes (our Roots Series) and nature themes (our Outdoor Explorer Series).
The Outdoor Explorer Series is about exploring our natural world and creating a deeper connection with nature.
Get your hands dirty while learning about plants, animals, and the earth!
Each week features different books, activities, and other hands-on challenges around the month’s outdoor theme.
When is it?
Everyday, through themed storytimes and classroom activities. Don’t miss our special events on the third Saturday of alternating months!
Who is it for?
Outdoor Explorer programs are designed for children ages 3 and up. Access to special Outdoor Explorer events is included with Museum admission. For Museum admission pricing, please visit our Admission & Pricing page.
Please note: Hands-on workshop seating is first come, first served. As workshops tend to fill up quickly, please arrive early to secure your spot.
2018 Monthly Themes:
- January – Things With Wings
- Special Event Date: Saturday, January 20, 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Fly to new heights as you discover all things with wings.
- March – Bugged Out
- Special Event Date: Saturday, March 17, 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Explore the not so creepy crawly world of bugs!
- May – Nature Science
- Special Event Date: Saturday, May 19, 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Practice your Jr. Naturalist skills as you investigate the curious world of Mother Nature.
- July – Water Wonders
- Special Event Date: Saturday, July 21, 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Dive in and discover where water, our most important resource for survival, comes from.
- September – Habitats
- Special Event Date: Saturday, September 15, 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Explore habits and the creatures who live there from the artic to the desert.
- November – Earth Inside and Out
- Special Night Event Date: Friday, November 30, 5:00-8:00pm
- Dig deeper to explore the secrets of the earth and beyond.
- Bring your entire family and train to be a space cadet at STREAM (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Art, and Math) activity booths across the Museum with special guests at the Family Space STREAM Night Friday, November 30 5:00-8:00pm.
Each week the Museum will feature different books, activities, and other hands-on challenges around the month’s outdoor theme.
Become a Sponsor
Calling all Community Partners! We hope that you will consider supporting our Outdoor Explorer Series through sponsorship or in-kind services.
We offer wonderful benefits built into our sponsorships such as complimentary admission passes, Museum family memberships, print and media exposure, recognition at the event, and vendor booth space. We will also provide you with a letter recognizing your charitable donation to our 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Please contact Jenna Novotny at JennaN@sdcdm.org or (760) 233-7755 x1014 to get involved now.