San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum (SDCDM) is excited to launch the third year of the Outdoor Explorer Series. The Series is designed to open doors for children to have a broader understanding of our natural world and a deeper connection with nature. It is a multi-faceted program encouraging children to reduce screen time, connect with the outdoors, and get their hands dirty while learning about plants, animals, and the earth.
Every other month, the Outdoor Explorer series consists of special storytimes and an interactive presentation and/or a hands-on workshop that connects to the monthly theme starting at 10:00am and 11:00am. Outdoor Explorer Events take place on the third Saturday of alternating months and will last approximately 30-45 minutes.
These programs are designed for children ages 3 and up. Price of Outdoor Explorer Events are included in Museum admission. For Museum admission pricing, please visit our Admission & Pricing page.
Hands-on workshop seating is first come, first served. As workshops tend to fill up quickly, please arrive early to secure your spot.
2018 Monthly Themes:
- January – Things With Wings
- Special Event Date: Saturday, January 20th
- Fly to new heights as you discover all things with wings.
- March – Bugged Out
- Special Event Date: Saturday, March 17th
- Explore the not so creepy crawly world of bugs!
- May – Nature Science
- Special Event Date: Saturday, May 19th
- Practice your Jr. Naturalist skills as you investigate the curious world of Mother Nature.
- July – Water Wonders
- Special Event Date: Saturday, July 21st
- Dive in and discover where water, our most important resource for survival, comes from.
- September – Habitats
- Special Event Date: Saturday, September 15th
- Explore habitats and the creatures who live there from the artic to the desert.
- November – Earth Inside and Out
- Dig deeper to explore the secrets of the earth and beyond.
- Special Event Date: Friday, November 30th 5:00-8:00pm
- Bring your entire family and train to be a space cadet at STREAM (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Art, and Math) activity booths across the Museum with special guests at the Family Space STREAM Night.
Each week the Museum will feature different books, activities, and other hands-on challenges around the month’s outdoor theme.
Become a Sponsor
Calling all Community Partners! We hope that you will consider supporting our Outdoor Explorer Series through sponsorship or in-kind services.
We offer wonderful benefits built into our sponsorships such as complimentary admission passes, Museum family memberships, print and media exposure, recognition at the event, and vendor booth space. We will also provide you with a letter recognizing your charitable donation to our 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Please contact Jenna Novotny at JennaN@sdcdm.org or (760) 233-7755 x1014 to get involved now.