San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum (SDCDM) is excited to launch the second year of the Outdoor Explorer Series. The Series is designed to open doors for children to have a broader understanding of our natural world and a deeper connection with nature. It is a multi-faceted program encouraging children to reduce screen time, connect with the outdoors, and get their hands dirty while learning about plants, animals, and the earth.
The Outdoor Explorer series consists of special storytimes and an interactive presentation and/or a hands-on workshop that connects to the monthly theme starting at 10:00am and 11:00am. Outdoor Explorer Events take place on the third Saturday of alternating months and will last approximately 30-45 minutes.
These programs are designed for children ages 3 and up. Price of Outdoor Explorer Events are included in Museum admission. For Museum admission pricing, please visit our Admission & Pricing page.
Hands-on workshop seating is first come, first served. As workshops tend to fill up quickly, please arrive early to secure your spot.
2017 Monthly Themes:
- January – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rethink
- Practice the 4 R’s and what it means to be green to protect the earth.
- March - Nature's Treasures
- Use your five senses to explore Mother Nature’s colors, shapes, and sounds.
- May – Ocean Exploration
- Special Event Date: Saturday, May 20th
- Dive into the waves and explore the deep blue sea. Get to know tide pool creatures and swim away with new friends!
- July – It’s Summer! Go Outside
- Special Event Date: Saturday, July 15th
- Get outside and soak up the sun on an adventure during your summer break! Discover different local activities you can do as a family. Visit with our community partners to win a prize.
- September – Jr. Naturalist
- Special Event Date: Saturday, September 16th
- Connect to wildlife and see how we are all part of the web of life. Meet local critters and explore ways we can coexist.
- November – Space
- Special Event Date: Tuesday, November 28th 5:00-7:00pm
- Blast off into the universe and discover what is beyond our planet. Bring your entire family and train to be a space cadet at STREAM (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Art, and Math) activity booths across the Museum.
Each week the Museum will feature different books, activities, and other hands-on challenges around the month’s outdoor theme.
Become a Sponsor
Calling all Community Partners! We hope that you will consider supporting our Outdoor Explorer Series through sponsorship or in-kind services.
We offer wonderful benefits built into our sponsorships such as complimentary admission passes, Museum family memberships, print and media exposure, recognition at the event, and vendor booth space. We will also provide you with a letter recognizing your charitable donation to our 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Please contact Jenna Novotny at JennaN@sdcdm.org or (760) 233-7755 x1014 to get involved now.