San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum (SDCDM) is excited to launch the second year of the Outdoor Explorer Series. The Series is designed to open doors for children to have a broader understanding of our natural world and a deeper connection with nature. It is a multi-faceted program encouraging children to reduce screen time, connect with the outdoors, and get their hands dirty while learning about plants, animals, and the earth.
The Outdoor Explorer series consists of special storytimes and an interactive presentation and/or a hands-on workshop that connects to the monthly theme starting at 10:00am and 11:00am. Outdoor Explorer Events take place on the third Saturday of alternating months and will last approximately 30-45 minutes.
These programs are designed for children ages 3 and up. Price of Outdoor Explorer Events are included in Museum admission. For Museum admission pricing, please visit our Admission & Pricing page.
Hands-on workshop seating is first come, first served. As workshops tend to fill up quickly, please arrive early to secure your spot.
2017 Monthly Themes:
- January – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rethink
- Practice the 4 R’s and what it means to be green to protect the earth.
- March - Nature's Treasures
- Use your five senses to explore Mother Nature’s colors, shapes, and sounds.
- May – Ocean Exploration
- Special Event Date: Saturday, May 20th
- Dive into the waves and explore the deep blue sea. Get to know tide pool creatures and swim away with new friends!
- July – It’s Summer! Go Outside
- Special Event Date: Saturday, July 15th
- Get outside and soak up the sun on an adventure during your summer break! Discover different local activities you can do as a family.
- September – Jr. Naturalist
- Special Event Date: Saturday, September 16th
- Connect to wildlife and see how we are all part of the web of life. Meet local critters and explore ways we can coexist.
- November – Space
- Special Event Date: Saturday, November 18th
- Blast off into the universe and discover what is beyond our planet. Look into space and train to be a space cadet.
Each week the Museum will feature different books, activities, and other hands-on challenges around the month’s outdoor theme.
San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum hopes to acquire additional sponsorship and funding to be able to hold a free nature-themed event during each of the corresponding Outdoor Explorer Series.