Marketing Intern - Fall 2018
This position is a non-paid internship for 20-40 hours per week. College credit available.
San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum (SDCDM) seeks an innovative, organized, and enthusiastic Marketing & Events intern that is ready to jump in and learn through hands-on Marketing & Events projects. The Marketing & Events Intern will work closely with the Director of Marketing & Events to drive the Museum marketing initiatives and lead the public facing and benefit events for San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum. From updating the website and leading social media campaigns to staging event décor and designing content for print and digital communications, there are a multitude of projects and opportunities to be creative and get a wide variety of Marketing and Event experience.
The ideal candidate will be a college student or college graduate. The position is based at San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum in Escondido, CA.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Marketing & Events Intern supports the Director of Marketing & Events in the overall operation of the Marketing & Events Department, assisting in the planning, development, coordination, and implementation of marketing campaigns, marketing initiatives, and event promotions and logistics.
- Facilitate website updates - create web forms, events, photo galleries, write content, etc.
- Create and manage social media posts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Yelp, etc.
- Manage and edit marketing photos
- Manage event calendar listings on website and community calendars
- Complete minor graphic design projects, using InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Draft copy and visual content for e-newsletters - assisting with layout, content, and design
- Identify and coordinate flyer and poster distribution at key distribution locations
- Edit video content for website and social media highlighting programs and events at the Museum
- Coordinate administrative aspects of events including registrations and on-site documents
- Conduct market research to identify new marketing opportunities
- Staff outreach events around San Diego - distributing flyers, educating consumers about SDCDM, and facilitating educational programs onsite
- Assist Event Coordinator for private events
Please note that the responsibilities described above are not all inclusive of actual internship duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the internship opportunity being offered.
- Currently enrolled in College, College Graduate, or equivalent experience. Major in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Graphic Design, or Museum Studies strongly preferred.
- Graphic design and photo editing skills strongly preferred: basic knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with staff, volunteers, and others in a culturally diverse environment.
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal), strong attention to detail (!), self-starter, and takes initiative.
- Flexible schedule including weekends and/or occasional nights is preferred.
- Must be comfortable working indoors and outdoors, and able to perform physical activities such as bending, moving around, and picking up items, and carrying up to 25 lbs. short distances.
- Spanish a plus, but not required.
To be considered for this position, please send résumé, a cover letter, and a short writing sample to:
Subject Line: Marketing Intern
Once received, your résumé and submitted materials will be reviewed, and if your experience and background fits our needs, someone from our office will contact you for an interview.