SDCDM is looking for an enthusiastic, energetic, and friendly person to become a member of the Museum Experience Team. This part-time position reports to the Museum Education and Community Programs Manager and is responsible for greeting visitors and guests, processing admissions and memberships, ensuring guests are enjoying the museum safely, and assisting in group visits and hands-on workshops. The ideal candidate for this position will possess excellent communication, computer and sales skills; desire to work with children; have a positive attitude and a willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Operate POS or ticketing system to process visitor transactions; answer visitor inquiries and provide excellent customer service to all museum visitors; handle cash and other forms of payment in a secure, orderly, and efficient manner; address visitor concerns to the best of ability; ensure involvement of supervisor or manager if needed to satisfy visitor needs; balance daily drawer total to within acceptable variance level; assist in daily maintenance of work environment, including stocking, organizing, inventorying, and other upkeep, to ensure an attractive and efficient appearance of workspace; attend all museum orientation and training programs; assist in Admissions, Retail, Museum Programs and Discovery Camps during peak traffic periods, as directed by supervisor; become skilled in suggestive selling of museum memberships, merchandise, and programs; lead field trips during school year and Discovery Camps during school breaks; promote repeat visitation; attend museum programs, and events, and tour exhibit spaces; perform basic clerical duties as assigned, such as data entry, filing, and copying; work with supervisor to ensure that visitors, intentionally or unintentionally, do not receive more goods or services than what was purchased; other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or GED required and the pursuit of higher education highly desirable.
Experience: The successful candidate ideally will demonstrate a commitment to the SDCDM mission, as well as extensive knowledge and competencies in the following:
- Proven excellence in customer service skills
- Minimum of one year experience in customer service function
- Experience working on a ticketing system strongly preferred
- Requires cash-handling experience and exceptional mathematical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with public and coworkers
- Demonstrated experience working with children age 0-10 preferred
- Proven ability to work independently
- Must be flexible with work schedule including weekends, holidays and evenings
- Requires considerable movement around the museum to monitor activities
- Experience working with children ages 0-13 is desirable.
- Fluency in a language other than English is a plus
Other: Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Programs including Word, Excel, Publisher, and Outlook and in managing a fundraising database.
To be considered for this position, please send resume and a thoughtful cover letter describing your skills, experience, qualifications and interest in the position in confidence to:
Subject Line Reference: Guest Services Job Opening
For information about volunteering opportunities click here!